Today we’ll learn how to make a delicious, appetizing and fabulous bowl of Vietnamese Pho Soup. The recipe is very easy, and the ingredients used are easily available in the market. Well, you might have tried a pho soup before in any restaurant, and not to mention, it’s cheap but delicious.
The best thing about making the pho soup yourself is that apart from the star anise, cardamom, fennel seeds and cinnamon, you can customize it the way you want and add extra toppings as you desire. So, here is the recipe for this delicious Vietnamese dish.
Preparing Pho Soup
- Fresh ground black pepper.
- 6 Thai bird chilies. You can also use serrano chili thinly cut into rings.
- 1 lime which is cut into 6 thin wedges.
- ½ sliced yellow onion.
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro.
- 10 spring Asian basil.
- 1 dozen saw-leaf herb leaves.
- 1 pound of bean sprouts.
- 1 tablespoon sea salt.
- 5 pounds of beef marrow. You can also use knuckle bones.
- 6 cloves that are toasted in dry pan.
- 2 pounds of beef chuck cut into 2
- 10 star anise toasted in a dry pan.
- 2 small gingers cut in half length and lightly bruised and charred.
- 3 ounce of rock sugar or 3 tablespoons regular sugar.
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and charred.
- ¼ cup of fish sauce.
- You need 1 pounds of dried 1/16 inches wide rice sticks that are soaked, cooked and then drained.
- 1/3 pounds of beef sirloin which is slightly frozen and then thinly slice.
How to Prepare?
1: Cooking the Bones and Beef Chucks: Firstly take a large stockpot, add 6 quarts of water and boil it. Now add bones and beef chuck in another pot and add water to cover it. Let it boil vigorously for about 5 minutes. Next take out the bones and beef with the help of tongs and place them in the first pot of boiling water. Now simmer the bones and beef for about 40 minutes. Next remove one piece of meat and put and dip it in cool water for about 10 minutes. This prevents it from drying and darkening. Finally drain the water, and cut it into thin slices placed at a small distance from each other, meanwhile the beef chuck continues to simmer.
2: Preparing the Broth: Once the broth has cooked for about 1 ½ hours, cover the star anise and cloves in a spice bag and add them to this simmering broth. Allow it to cook and infuse with the broth for about 30-40 minutes. Now remove the spice bags and onions. Next add the sea salt and let the broth cook for another 2 hours. The broth will taste a bit extra salty, but it will balance once mixed with the noodles.
3: Serving: Now comes the serving. Place the cooked noodles in medium sized bowls. The noodles must be hot, else they would cool down the soup. Once added, place the beef chuck slices and sirloin in it. Next, add the boiling broth in the bowl. 2-3 cups of broth in each bowl would be perfect. Garnish the soup with scallions, cilantro and the yellow onions. Finally serve them quickly before it starts to cool. Let the guests add garnishes as per taste.